Business leaders and policymakers will meet in November at the 2021 European Business and Nature Summit (EBNS) - a high-level political and technical forum - to capitalise on the growing awareness that businesses impact and depend on nature and the ecosystem services it provides. They will aim to mobilise the business community and strengthen the European "Business for Biodiversity movement" called upon by the EU Biodiversity Strategy for 2030.
As business and finance are becoming more aware of their dependence on nature, they are finding that successful business solutions to tackle biodiversity loss and climate crisis already exist, and many of these solutions are financially rewarding. However, a profound and broad mindset shift from business leaders is required to adopt such models at scale. EBNS 2021 will give participants an opportunity to share best practices, experiences and solutions from businesses and business networks across Europe and regions where European businesses are active, and discuss how to scale up these solutions through consistent business voluntary actions and public policies.
Following the UNFCCC COP26 and UNCBD COP15, and ahead of the French presidency of the EU in the first half of 2022, and as Europe emerges from the Covid-19 pandemic, EBNS 2021 will gather high-level public and private decision-makers to discuss and agree on a course of action for leading a biodiversity-friendly recovery in Europe.
The Summit will offer a mix of high-level plenary and in-depth thematic parallel sessions on topics such as:
- Tackling climate crisis and biodiversity loss - nature-based solutions, and their role in the economic transition
- Raising nature in corporate governance, management practices and economic decisions
- Innovations along companies' supply chains to preserve biodiversity
- Pioneering SMEs reinventing their relationship with biodiversity
- Dialogue between policy makers and business to accelerate change
- Business contribution to global biodiversity targets
- Natural capital and biodiversity risks, nature-positive investment and sustainable finance
EBNS 2021 is organised as a hybrid event combining:
- in-person venue access to a limited number of participants in Paris; and
- unlimited online access with possibilities for interaction.
The Summit welcomes businesses of all sizes – from SMEs to large corporations and financial institutions and representatives of the public sector - for one and a half days of stimulating discussions, knowledge exchanges, and networking opportunities. Members of scientific community or non-governmental organisations interested in business action are also welcomed to participate.
Business networks willing to support the organisation of the Summit, be it through contributing to its content or facilitating its visibility, and businesses willing to present solutions or innovative business models leading to positive effects on biodiversity are invited to reach out to the Summit organisers.