The course, organized by the ReNature project, will upskill participants in: understanding the ecological foundations of NbS, assessing their impacts on ecosystem services and their socio-economic implications, identifying planning barriers and opportunities, applying key principles for NbS design.
The following topics will be covered:
- Current thinking and experiences in European cities
- Urban ecosystems, their biodiversity and functions
- Mapping and assessing urban ecosystem services
- Analyzing demand for NbS and potential beneficiaries
- NbS design to target specific urban needs and challenges
- Windows of opportunities and constraints to mainstream NbS in urban plans.
The teaching approach is based on input lectures, discussion and case study work, conducted in groups. Participants will be taken to a field visit in an urban area, and then assigned case studies for analysis and design of NbS, incorporating some of the lessons learned during the course. The results will be presented and discussed with experts from the private, public and policy sectors.